FAQs About Acupuncture
“Does Acupuncture Hurt?”
Most of my patients are surprised at how how little can they actually feel the needles. Sometimes there will be a slight sensation with the actual needle insertion that disappears in a moment. There are also many pleasant sensations associated with how the needles feel, and patients will often request ‘needle manipulation’ (stimulation or movement of the needles by the practitioner’s hands) until they can feel those sensations fully.
Throughout the treatment, you will notice your body relax into a deep calm that may even result in a little nap on the table. Overall, the treatments feel wonderful and leave you with a sense of balance, rejuvenation and even euphoria.
“Does Insurance Cover Acupuncture?”
Insurance is getting increasingly better at providing Acupuncture benefits as Chinese Medicine gains popularity. I am contracted with several companies that will provide partial to full coverage for acupuncture treatment. Some companies participate in a discount program in which the patient receives a discount off all services when they present their insurance card. Please call your carrier to find out what you may be eligible for, or call my office and we can do it for you! Please check out my Insurance page for more info…
“What Can Acupuncture Treat?”
The World Health Organization has determined that acupuncture is an effective therapy for over 200 clinical conditions, including:
- back pain
- neck and shoulder pain
- repetitive stress syndrome (including carpal tunnel syndrome)
- migraines and headaches
- alcohol, food, and tobacco addiction
- accidental injuries (promotes healing)
- rheumatoid arthritis
- respiratory problems
- digestive problems
- gynecological disorders
- circulatory disorders
- nervous system disorders
Acupuncture also reduces stress and anxiety, and helps patients enter a deep state of relaxation, which enhances the healing process. Herbal medicine can increase the effectiveness of your acupuncture treatment and is often the primary treatment for chronic internal medical disorders.
“How Often Will I Need Treatment?”
In China acupuncture is administered in courses of 7-10 daily treatment until the problem is cured. However, this kind of treatment schedule is usually not convenient or practical for Western people. My philosophy is to resolve the SYMPTOM, STABILIZE the condition, and then MAINTAIN the result. I generally advise 1-2 treatments a week until the symptoms are resolved, and then we will do a re-evauation of your treatment program at that time.
To enhance acupuncture treatments I may prescribe Chinese herbal medicine. These days Chinese herbal medicine is available in many forms, like pill, tablet, granule and powder, making it easy and convenient to take.
“How Many Treatments Will I Need?”
Overall treatment time is dependent on many factors such as the nature and severity of your complaint, how long you’ve had it, your age, your general health, your lifestyle and how much you are willing to do to assist the healing process. For example, if I advise that avoiding fried foods and alcohol will help your problem, can you follow that advice? Much of your success depends on you, and we work together to help you reach your goals.
Also as TCM views each of us as a unique individual, people with the same complaint will most likely receive entirely different treatment and will respond to it differently. I will best be able to tell you how many treatments you need after I have diagnosed your particular problem according to TCM principles during your first session.
“Is Acupuncture Safe?”
Acupuncture is extremely safe. We are required to use single use sterile disposable needles that are discarded after a single use. It also really important to receive acupuncture from a Licensed Acupuncturist or L.Ac only. Check out this article to find out more.
“Why Should You Choose Our Clinic for Your Healthcare Needs?”
- Joanne is not only an expert in her field, but she tailors each session around your individual needs and goals, emphasizing comfort, compassion and communication every time.
- Your Diagnosis and Treatment Plan will be completely customized for YOU, without the use of generic protocols and procedures.
- You will receive not only acupuncture as part of your session. Joanne generally selects at 2-3 modalities per session for treatment, including cupping, gua aha, electro stimulation, moxibustion and NAET allergy muscle testing.
- In addition, and at no extra charge, you will also receive lifestyle, dietary, home care recommendations and a custom herbal prescription when deemed necessary.
- Your session is always about you, and there is plenty of time to discuss your concerns, questions and goals to your satisfaction and without rushing.
- Our clinic offers a diverse population of practitioners, providing you with many options to meet all of your wellness needs including acupuncture, massage, energy work, alternative psychotherapy, and advanced Rofling.
- When applicable we accept and bill your insurance carrier.