So What Does Acupuncture Treat?
The short answer is that acupuncture can really address almost any disorder that Western Medicine can, but that’s a bit of a vague answer.
Let’s take a closer look at how Chinese medicine addresses illness…
In terms of the Chinese medical framework, the focus is primarily on the person, and secondarily on the illness. This perspective is know as ‘Root & Branch Theory’, branch being the manifesting symptoms of the disease and root being the basic cause of the disease itself.
This is very different from the Western allopathic model of medicine, where the symptoms are the focus of diagnosis and treatment, and the whole person is considered last, if at all.
So how does this benefit you and your health condition?
As your practitioner, I will use a set of diagnostic tools to evaluate what is the root cause of your condition, and then formulate a treatment plan that will address both the symptoms for immediate relief, and the root cause of the disorder, allowing your body to heal at a basic level.
Although it may take a bit longer to treat the body in this way, the result is that you will experience natural balance of the body that will last–without a lifetime of drug therapy.
When approaching a disorder in this way, it’s interesting to note that one set of symptoms, for example depression, can manifest from several different root imbalances. In effect, each patient will be treated entirely differently for their depression. Each body is unique, and we must look at the whole person to determine where their root imbalances lie.
So, to get back to the original question, What Does Acupuncture Treat?, I must emphasize that because of the Root & Branch model, Chinese medicine really has something to offer for every health disorder. Some conditions respond better to this model than others, some are treated with very little investment of time and money, and some conditions require a little more work.
Take a look at the list below for more specific suggestions to what can be addressed with this medicine.
These Are the Areas I Have Had Success With Treatment
- Addiction Recovery: drug, alcohol, smoking, food
- Anti-Aging: Cosmetic Acupuncture for facial rejuvenation
- Allergy Elimination: environmental, food, chemical, emotional
- Cardiovascular: high blood pressure, palpitations, poor circulation, swelling of hands and feet
- Gastrointestinal: bloating, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, reflux, hemorrhoids, indigestion, IBS, ulcer
- Emotional: anxiety, depression, insomnia, irritability, stress, bipolar, hormonal disorders
- Gynecological: endometriosis, hot flashes, night sweats, infertility, mastitis, menstrual pain and irregularity, PMS, pregnancy/postpartum discomforts and problems, hormonal imbalances
- Urogenital: impotence, incontinence, prostatitis, sexual dysfunction, UTI
- Musculoskeletal: arthritis, athletic injuries, back pain/disc problems, FMS, general pain, sciatica, trauma
- Pain: acute, chronic, nerve/muscle related, injury, accident, repetitive movement
- Respiratory: allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds, flu, sinusitis
Call Joanne, a professional Licensed Acupuncturist, today for a